I did a phone interview with a personal friend of mine, who nannies for a couple who are both doctors. She LOVES nannying for them! I asked her what are the top 10 ways her employers keep her happy? This was her reply:
A Nanny’s Top 10 Ways Her Employers Keep Her Happy
- They give me the freedom to take the children wherever I want. It’s amazing having that trust from the parents.
- They give me time off whenever I need it – no questions asked. They are VERY accommodating when I need time off.
- They pay me well!
- When I take the kids out, they pay me gas money and they always give me some cash to spend on the children while we’re out.
- They go out of their way to make sure that I get to leave to go home on time, even with their busy doctor schedules.
- They are very generous with gift giving. They are Jewish and I am Catholic and they always make sure to give me something for my birthday, Christmas, Hanukkah, Valentines Day, etc.
- They trust my judgment with household decisions. I have a three year limited power of attorney with the children in case something happens. I am the person the doctors and the school call first in case of emergency. This was granted after a few years of built-up trust.
- If I am ever in need of anything of great importance, they will help me out. For instance, if I needed a co-signer to buy a car…which I didn’t, but they offered.
- If they are away they trust me implicitly. They never felt the need to get a “nanny cam”. I LOVE that they trust me that much.
- They don’t consider me an “employee”, they accept me as a family member. This is not the case with all nannies. They treat me with respect and don’t make me feel inferior.
Are you in need of a nanny, au pair, or babysitter? Check out Care.com, the internet’s leading source for finding quality child care!