Do your twins love books? Mine sure do! But what about kids books that are ABOUT twins and about the special challenges that twins face? Check out all the best twin books for twins!
1. Two is for Twins – There are so many things twins can do together and so many things come in pairs. Here is a book that celebrates the joys of twindom. Perfect for twins and those that are not. Ages 2+.
2. Twin to Twin – A “delightfully funny, rhyming book” about a set of boy/girl twins will engage even your littlest ones for years to come. Starting out as wee infants, the siblings are soon on the move, learning to walk and talk and encountering a range of experiences. It’s twice the fun, as they play with toys, enjoy time spent outdoors, eat a meal, and share a bath. Ages Birth-5 years.
3. Bathtime for Twins and Playtime for Twins – How about a great pair of books that are the perfect reading companions for our twins. They play together, bathe together, and grow up together. These books show how fun being twins are and many of us can identify the things parents do to make our twinnies unique and special in so many ways. Ages 1 – 4 years.
4. Twins! – From pat-a-cake to storytime, from bathtub splashes to bedtime lullabies, twins keep mommies and daddies very busy! Twins need double bottles and twice the swing pushes, have double the runny noses and take twice the patience. But they also bring twice the smiles, give twice as many kisses, play twice the peek-a-boos, and make each day twice as fun! Perfect for toddlers, new parents, or twins of any age, Charlotte Doyle’s cheerful rhymes and Julia Gorton’s vivid illustrations show us a day in the life of two adorable twins. Ages Birth-3 years.
5. Take 2: A Celebration of Twins – “Old twins, new twins, famous twins, not-at-all-alike twins, side-by-side twins, let’s play twins, not-yet twins, mirror twins — all kinds of twins! — come together in a collection of original poems.” This is the perfect book to share with all the twins in your life and all the people that love them so. Ages 4 – 8 years.
6. Topsy and Tim series – The series follows adorable twins Topsy and Tim as they go on adventures such as “Topsy and Tim…Go on an Airplane… Go to the Dentist… Go Camping… (etc.)” A trusted and well-loved pair who can help guide parents and children through ‘first experiences’, Topsy and Tim books have been well known to parents and children around the UK for generations and the books have been beautifully updated with contemporary artwork. Ages 3-6 years
7. Fraturtles – We all know that being twins does not mean we are all identical. The Fraturtles answers all of the questions about what makes a twin fraternal and how they may not look alike they still share their whole lives together. Celebrate those fraternal boys and girls in this whimsical book.
8. I Love You the Purplest – Although it’s not specifically a book about twins, the subject of two young sons arguing to be mommy’s favorite is very familiar to most parents of twins. “Early in the evening two young brothers and their mama finish supper in the sturdy red cabin and set out to fish. While digging for worms, rowing the boat and pulling in fish, each brother asks his mama which one is the best at each task and, as they are being tucked into bed, which one she loves the best.” Ages 3-7 years.
9. The Twinniest Twins – Written by a mother of twins who also does her rounds in the Mothers of Multiples Circuit (my friend picked up this gem for me at a conference). A celebration of fraternal twins who are not just 2 peas in a pod or double trouble, but individuals who need to be loved for who they are as individuals as well as being twinnies. Ages 2 – 7 years.
10. No Two Alike – A great book to teach multiples how each of them is so unique. “Follow a pair of birds on a snowflake-filled journey through a gorgeous winter landscape to explore how everything, everywhere is wonderfully unique–from branches and leaves to forests and trees to friends and loved ones.” Ages 3-7 years.
11. Little Miss Twins – A fun little read from the Mr. Men and Little Miss series. See how these Little Misses travel and have fun through Twoland!
12. Twice As Nice: What It’s Like to Be a Twin – You know all the questions that you get any time you bring your twinnies out? Well, this book aims to answer them all from the difference between identical and fraternal twins, where twins come from, and what it means to be a twin. Go on a journey with Ronnie and Bonnie in learning about who they as twins and the specialness that comes with that identification.
13. My Friend Paris – Twins Series – This set of books including I’m Having Twins, My Twins are Coming Home, My Twins First Halloween, My Twins First Birthday and My Twins First Christmas, are written by an older sister of Twins when she found out she was expecting twin siblings. Fun reads from the perspective of an older sibling.
14. Tapper Twins 4 pack – Whether they’re locked in prank wars, scavenger hunts, a class election, or a contest to see who can get the most online followers, Claudia and Reese can’t stop competing with one another! 4-Pack includes: Go to War – Go Viral – Tear up New York – Run For President Ages 9 – 12 years.
15. The Night Before First Grade – The night before the Big Day—-first grade! Penny is excited to start the year with her best friend right beside her in the same classroom. But when she arrives at school, she learns that there are two sections of first grade and that her best friend will be in the other section. Bravely waving goodbye to her friend, she discovers new interests in her classroom. The author writes, “I wanted to capture the panic of being split up from your best friend when you’re put into different classes, but then the joy of making new friends.” Twins can certainly relate to that!
16. Lucy and Henry are Twins – A lot of these books on fraternal twins are 2 boys or 2 girls, but there are a whole lot of boy-girl twins who need to be celebrated too. A fun toddler book talking about what makes each twin an individual and duo at the same time.
17. Sweet Valley Twins Series – A series already familiar to those of us who grew up in the ’80s, these are the “prequel” books to the classic Sweet Valley High series. They can be hard to find but a search on Amazon or eBay will turn up many of these in paperback for just pennies! There is also a “Sweet Valley Kids” series of the Sweet Valley twins for the elementary school level. Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield feel special because they’re identical twins. For twelve years they’ve dressed alike, shared a room, and do everything together. But when they start Sweet Valley Middle School, everything begins to change. Ages 9 and up.
Personalized books are wonderful and there are even ones made especially for twins. Go check out I See Me, LLC’s line of twin books so both of your kiddos can feel extra special with their names in the titles and throughout the books.
Jenifer Roth is a busy, busy mom to 1-year-old identical twin boys Jase and Evan, a full-time High School driver ed teacher, and full-time finder of random information to help others! When not running around from work to home to errands she enjoys working on her blog, making piles of stuff and just hanging with her family! Trying to find the work-life balance has been a journey of its own but push on she must! You can read her blog here
Got twins? Us too! The Twiniversity Podcast with Natalie Diaz is created by parents of twins FOR parents of twins, from expecting times through the teenage years and everything in between. This podcast is all about parenting twins, offering plenty of tips, parenting hacks, and of course, humor. Just know that we are laughing WITH you every step of the way.
Are you looking to connect with an experienced parent of multiples who has been in your shoes? Do you want to feel supported, guided, and heard as a new parent of multiples*?
Or, do you love offering advice and tips to new parents of multiples*? Would you love to support, guide and listen to a soon-to-be or new parent the way you wish someone was there for you?
If you said, “YES!” to any of those questions, then the Twiniversity Parent-to-Parent Mentorship Program is perfect for YOU!
We are looking for parents of multiples from around the globe who want to be matched up with a parent mentor, or who want to BE a parent mentor. We’ll be matching up moms with moms and dads with dads from all over the world to get personal support in this crazy life of multiples parenting!! All you have to do is complete a simple application form and we’ll do the matchmaking! And the best part? The program is totally FREE! There are no fees to take part in this program.
Ready to sign up? Visit the Twiniversity Parent-to-Parent Mentorship Page to learn how to apply!
Are you a new twin parent? Check out Natalie Diaz’s new book “What To Do When You’re Having Two: The Twin Survival Guide From Pregnancy Through the First Year”, available in stores now!
The rate of twin births has risen 79 percent over the last three decades, and continues to increase. A mom of fraternal twins and a national guru on having two, Natalie Diaz launched Twiniversity, a supportive website with advice from the twin-trenches.
What to Do When You’re Having Two is the definitive how-to guide to parenting twins, covering how to make a Birth Plan checklist, sticking to one sleep schedule, managing double-duty breastfeeding, stocking up on all the necessary gear, building one-on-one relationships with each child, and more.
Accessible and informative, What to Do When You’re Having Two is the must-have manual for all parents of twins.