When I began my twin pregnancy I thought I knew what I was getting into. I had already had two pregnancies under my belt, I thought I had this in the bag. Boy, was I wrong! Being pregnant with twins is like being pregnant with one baby while wearing an 80 lb backpack. Your everything hurts: Legs, hips, stomach… crotch! It is almost impossible to stay comfortable. But along the way, I figured out a few tricks to keep me off the ledge.
10 Ways to Stay Comfortable During a Twin Pregnancy
- Carry around a pillow. Yes, I was that weird lady carrying a pillow with her so she could get comfortable at the table next to you in that restaurant. But when you are bigger than a bus you kind of stop caring what people think of you.
- Have a bath in the morning, and mid-morning, then after lunch, and mid-afternoon and in the evening. Baths are to pregnancies like air is to lungs. Necessary! (Twiniversity Tip: Avoid soaking in water that’s hot enough to raise your body temperature higher than 102.2 degrees Fahrenheit for more than 10 minutes.)
- Get pedicures. Of course having someone paint your toes a pretty color for you since you can’t even see them is important! When I was pregnant with twins I would get a pedicure at least once a week just to have those hot jets massage my tired feet.
- Use a heating pad. I know, I know, you can’t have it near your precious cargo but a lot of pain during a twin pregnancy can accumulate in your shoulders from all of that extra weight you are carrying around. I am not talking about your belly… let’s face it, when you are pregnant with twins your bra tends to be at maximum capacity.
- Try a bag of frozen peas on your lady parts. Trust me, it will give your husband or significant other a good laugh but it’s life-changing. (Twiniversity Tip: you should also check this out.)
- Go swimming, or because it’s real life, sit in a pool. I always see these photos of women swimming laps in pregnancy books. I don’t know about you but if I attempted to actually swim while pregnant with twins I would drown. But sitting on stairs in a pool is quite refreshing.
- Get a prenatal massage. This is a tricky one. I was surprised to find out that most massage therapists won’t touch a woman pregnant with multiples with a ten-foot pole in fear that they may induce labor. Ask your OB for a referral to someone who knows how to touch you in all the right places… Get your mind out of the gutter!
- Befriend a couch and a T.V. When pregnant with multiples it is best (and you will probably want to) be off your feet a lot. Find a spot in your home that you are really cozy and start binge-watching a TV series. May I suggest a few dozen? Oh, and yes, I am that couch potato that Netflix asked if I am “still watching?” about 30 times a day. Yes Netflix, you don’t have to remind me!
- Lay on your side. This goes for most pregnancies, for one or more babies. It drives me crazy when I see an actress playing a very pregnant woman laying on her back. She would be gasping for air!
- Take Tylenol. Don’t be a hero. When the pain gets to be too much it’s okay to numb it from time to time!
Joanna Venditti is an artist, designer, beauty expert and mom of four including… surprise… twins!!! Hailing from a suburb just outside of Toronto, Joanna is now pouring all of her talent and parenting knowledge (especially about multiples) into her blog www.nestingstory.ca. Although sometimes turning to her blog for therapy or writing humor pieces she is constantly listening to her followers and trying to create detailed and informative articles about pregnancy, childbirth, design and everyday life. Joanna Is very active on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.