Nat chats with Lindsey Ison, pediatric speech pathologist of 13 years and mom of 3-year-old twin girls, about how to start solid food with your babies, how your baby’s core strength makes a difference with eating, and the benefit of letting your babies do more of the work.
Today’s podcast is sponsored by Dr. Brown’s. Be sure to check out Dr. Brown’s full line of infant solid feeding products and transition cups for your infants and toddlers.
Got Alexa? Just say “Alexa, play the Twiniversity Podcast” to listen to the most recent episode of our podcast.
Subscribe for FREE to our other podcast, the Twins Tale Podcast, giving you an inside look at feeding schedules, sleep struggles, and all the highs and lows of raising twins from birth to college age.
Take a class! Twiniversity offers online expecting twins classes, a breastfeeding twins class, and a baby safety class including CPR, first aid, car seat safety, and childproofing. Click here to check out our online classes.
Click below to stream the podcast directly on this post, or click here to subscribe and download to your phone on iTunes. Please consider leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other twin parents find us!
How to Start Solid Food with Your Twins | Twin Mom Lindsey Ison, Pediatric Speech Language Pathologist
Need more support? Start your Twiniversity Membership today here.
Lindsey Ison is an honest-to-goodness Okie from Muskogee, even though she hasn’t lived there in almost 20 years. After grad school in Texas (Go UTD Comets), Lindsey moved back to Oklahoma where she met her husband the old-fashioned way, on OKCupid. In addition to her work as a pediatric SLP where she has worked in schools, early intervention, private practice, and outpatient clinics, Lindsey works in gender-affirming voice therapy for adults and adolescents in transition. In addition to her 3-year old twin girls, Lindsey has three canine furbabies and spends her time reading, singing, writing, and reading.
Please consider reviewing our podcast! This helps other parents of twins to find us. Thanks in advance!
The Complete Baby Safety Course: Learn about infant CPR, choking, first aid, car seat safety, and childproofing
Top 3 pieces of advice for other parents of twins
1. Every plan you make is tentative and subject to change. Getting comfortable with that helped take SO much pressure off of us, in pretty much every situation.
2. Take all the help you can get, from the person at the store who offers to take your cart back to the offer for babysitting or shopping or cleaning (this time not from strangers in the parking lot). And if the help doesn’t offer, ask for it. Even if you think you ‘shouldn’t need it. Same goes for professional help.
3. Guilt is an inevitability in parenthood. It’s also not productive to wallow in it, except when you need to. Remember that you are doing the best you can. And your kids are awesome. Even when they’re assholes.
Have you taken an infant CPR course yet? A first aid course? A car seat safety course? A babyproofing course? Twiniversity has an all-in-one class — The Complete Baby Safety Course — to cover ALL those topics. Click here for details and while you’re at it, check out our Twiniversity Memberships to get better connected with other twin parents and the Twins Tale Podcast to hear hilarious and inspiring stories from twin parents.
Top 3 things you’d like our listeners to take away after listening to your story
1. There is no one best way to feed your baby and transition them from milk to solids. Anyone who tells you they have THE answer is wrong. Do what works for you and your family without shame or guilt. Formula? Awesome. Fresh homemade baby food? Great. Jars and pouches? Fabulous. Baby-led weaning? Perfect. A combination of two or three or all the things? You do you. And it’s 100% okay for what works for you to be different day to day or week to week.
2. You know your kids better than anybody, and you know your own comfort level.
3. Take all advice with a grain of salt. Trust your gut and talk to your doctor.
Sign up today for a Twiniversity Membership! Choose from 2 levels starting at $6.99/month to connect with other parents of twins in a monthly Zoom twin club, build your twin parenting community in our private Facebook group, and expand your twin parent knowledge with our video learner library. Click here for details.
FIRST YEAR WITH TWINS
Are your twins in their first year? Check out our free First Year with Twins resource to learn tips, advice, and ideas for getting through your first year with twins!
BABY SAFETY COURSE
Offered on-demand, the Complete Baby Safety Course includes 30 instructional videos on infant, toddler, and child CPR, a variety of first aid techniques you may need with kids, a full explanation about different kinds of car seats and how to install them, and a room-by-room description of how to best childproof your home. Click here for details.
Expecting twins or know someone who is? Don’t miss out on our LIVE Online Expecting Twins Class
VISIT Twiniversity.com for tons of free twin tips!
Sign up for our mentorship program (whether you NEED a mentor or want to BE a mentor!)
Having twins? Ever wish there was an expecting twins class to get you ready for your twins? Well, relax, there is! We offer Twiniversity classes in New York City, Chicago, Houston, and ONLINE, created exclusively for expecting and new parents of multiples. Click here to learn more… and while you’re at it, check out our breastfeeding twins class and baby safety class!