Having twins? Here’s what you need to know. We polled our Twiniversity community of parents of multiples to get their top advice for having twins. Here’s what they had to say!
Having Twins? Here’s What You Need to Know.
– Follow what your heart tells. Some days suck, but tomorrow you get to try again. Some (most) days are pretty great. Don’t be so hard on yourself and don’t compare yourself to others.
– Be as much in the moment as you can. The little moments are awesome!
– There are NO RULES when you’re having twins! Just keep trying different things and routines until you figure out what works for YOUR family! 2 babies can be hard at times but babyhood passes QUICKLY so force yourself to slow down for cuddles and giggles as much as possible.
– Find a routine that works for you! Sometimes they eat at the same time. Sometimes they don’t. Same goes for napping. Try to remember they are individuals and they like one on one attention even if it means giving up “me time” to snuggle with one baby while the other one naps. Go with the flow, relax, and try to enjoy it! You will be busier than you ever have been, but it goes by so fast!
– Remember this when you are having your lowest moment of motherhood. No one can be a better mother to those kids than you can. You can get through this, many of us Twin Moms have before you and you can too. NO Mother is 100 percent perfect.
– Having twins is absolutely amazing! It is a unique experience and such a blessing to witness two little people share so many experiences together. Everyone will give you advice, but many of them will not understand the challenges of having twins. Sometimes their advice just won’t work with your situation. That’s okay. Trust your instincts and do what you need to do in order to have not only happy babies, but also a happy family. Enjoy every bit of your wonderful twin journey!
– It is SO much better than you are expecting! Don’t stress now about all the hard parts, you will figure those out. Don’t compare your life to singleton parents, they might get more sleep and more one on one time but they also get half as many babies!
– Being pregnant with twins is rough and NICU time may be involved but it will be such a short amount of time even though it feels like an eternity when going through it.
– Having twins is an adventure like no other. At times it’s lonely, frustrating, crazy, heartbreaking, joyous, miraculous, awe-inspiring, funny, furious and that’s all before lunch! It’s something that singleton parents either pretend to know or don’t want to know, but other mom’s of multiples will totally understand before you’ve said a word.
– Expect every trip to the store to take 3 times as long as it used to because people stop you to talk about your twins. Don’t be afraid to tell strangers they can’t touch your babies. Do what you need to do to protect them. The twin factor makes people act inappropriately in public sometimes.
– It’s going to be okay. You will get through it and you’re much stronger than you think you are! It’s definitely two for the price of two but it’s all worth it! Their bond will be like no other.
– Be spontaneous! Go out and do lots of stuff by yourself, with your friends, your husband – shopping, movies – enjoy the ability to get up and go at a moments notice, because that freedom will go away for a long time (or change).
– Don’t sweat the small stuff and work together as a team, as tired as you are, your partner is too!
– Every baby is different and will not fit into the perfect mold you want them to be in. Follow your gut and celebrate every day.
– Twins are different from singletons. Don’t EVER let anyone make you feel bad for not being Super Mom.
– Leave the house with the kids and don’t be a shut in!
– Don’t be afraid/ashamed to ask for help. Don’t be afraid to admit you are exhausted-because you will be! The first year is the hardest.
– You’re going to feel guilty sometimes because it’s hard to take care of two babies that need you at once at times – but just know you will get through it and they will both love you just the same. Go easy on yourself.
– Enlist in nighttime help! Take any help you get. Have someone start a Meal Train for you, this was a lifesaver. People brought us food for weeks!
– Join a local mothers of multiples group while you are still pregnant with twins. You will feel so much better being surrounded by parents that “get it” most of your friends, family, neighbors won’t unless they have a set.
– Take turns giving each other a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. It works magic on your relationship with your partner. Take help whenever it is offered.
– There is no right way! Just do it the way you think you should and don’t worry about the rest! It will be hard in the beginning no matter what you do but it won’t be this way forever and the rewards of watching them grow up together makes it worth it!
– Expect a lot of attention. People love twins. With that being said. Prepare for some really stupid questions.
– If breastfeeding doesn’t work out, it’s ok! If they cry simultaneously, it’s ok! If you can’t make it on your own, it’s ok! There are two of them and you’re just one!
– It is truly possible to immediately fall in love with two little beings at one time. You’re blessed.
– If you’re having twins, think about hiring a night nanny. We have one that comes 3 nights a week and it gives us a chance to get some sleep through the first few months. The first 2 weeks we didn’t have one and I honestly didn’t think I’d survive.
– Take tons of pictures and videos, individually and together.
– Listen to your instincts and not the million pieces of advice people are going to give you unasked.
– You don’t need two of everything when you’re having twins. My boys were happy switching between the swing and bouncer.
– Breathe!!! Take a deep breath and take everything day by day!!
– Stay organized. It will make thing so much easier.
– If you lower your standards and expectations and you’ll be happier.
– Having twins is the best reason I don’t get sleep.
Got twins? Us too! The Twiniversity Podcast with Natalie Diaz is created by parents of twins FOR parents of twins, from expecting times through the teenage years and everything in between. This podcast is all about parenting twins, offering plenty of tips, parenting hacks, and of course, humor. Just know that we are laughing WITH you every step of the way.
Are you looking to connect with an experienced parent of multiples who has been in your shoes? Do you want to feel supported, guided, and heard as a new parent of multiples*?
Or, do you love offering advice and tips to new parents of multiples*? Would you love to support, guide and listen to a soon-to-be or new parent the way you wish someone was there for you?
If you said, “YES!” to any of those questions, then the Twiniversity Parent-to-Parent Mentorship Program is perfect for YOU!
We are looking for parents of multiples from around the globe who want to be matched up with a parent mentor, or who want to BE a parent mentor. We’ll be matching up moms with moms and dads with dads from all over the world to get personal support in this crazy life of multiples parenting!! All you have to do is complete a simple application form and we’ll do the matchmaking! And the best part? The program is totally FREE! There are no fees to take part in this program.
Ready to sign up? Visit the Twiniversity Parent-to-Parent Mentorship Page to learn how to apply!
Are you a new twin parent? Check out Natalie Diaz’s new book “What To Do When You’re Having Two: The Twin Survival Guide From Pregnancy Through the First Year”, available in stores now!
The rate of twin births has risen 79 percent over the last three decades, and continues to increase. A mom of fraternal twins and a national guru on having two, Natalie Diaz launched Twiniversity, a supportive website with advice from the twin-trenches.
What to Do When You’re Having Two is the definitive how-to guide to parenting twins, covering how to make a Birth Plan checklist, sticking to one sleep schedule, managing double-duty breastfeeding, stocking up on all the necessary gear, building one-on-one relationships with each child, and more.
Accessible and informative, What to Do When You’re Having Two is the must-have manual for all parents of twins.