Unless you want to be housebound for a very long time, you will need to figure out how to get out of the house with your twins.
At first, the idea of leaving the house with twins may be a little overwhelming but if you don’t do it you will feel trapped at home with them.
Here are some tips from Twiniversity MoMs for how to do it:
- If you are nervous you could practice with a run to a drive-thru to get coffee with the kiddos strapped safely in their car seats. This will get you out of the house and keep everyone contained. Bring a good book with you to read while they nap as a bonus!
Are you looking for the best double stroller for twins? Not sure if you should go for a tandem stroller or a side-by-side stroller? And what about a Snap N’ Go? We’ve got all the details for you in our double stroller resource. Click here to learn more… and while you’re at it, check out our expecting twins classes and the Twiniversity shop!
- Prep as much as you can beforehand and always leave your diaper bag packed.
- Choose a place and activity where there is little to no pressure or a time requirement. That way if the kids get fussy you can leave whenever you want.
- Library baby story time..before they can crawl. Since starting to crawl I feel like all I do is continually drag a kid to safety by a leg!
- Don’t make it so complicated, just go for a walk.
- Take your stroller and babies for a spin in Target. Get yourself a drink and some popcorn and peruse all the stuff.
- Start small…hit a drive-thru for a coffee, and then a playdate with another mom and her kids. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
- Pick a “safe” place for your first outing perhaps the mall or a grocery store near your home. Don’t expect to get a lot done. Just enjoy the fact that you are out of the house!
- Just do it! If you overthink it, you’ll never go out.
- If your toddlers are toddling in different directions, it’s not bad to go out with a buddy. It could be another mom or a family member or a friend. But an extra pair of eyes is NEVER a bad thing.
- Don’t leave your camera at home. It would be a shame to miss that cute moment of their first time on the slide or the first time on a swing.
- Practice makes perfect. Taking short trips out of the house leading up to a big one will give you the confidence to know you can do it.
Be prepared to be stopped by EVERYONE and asked the hundreds of questions you will continuously get because you have twins. When your twins are small they attract a LOT of attention so take this into account for time management but enjoy the attention.
Prepare as much as you can in advance and just do it! It might be easier than you thought or more difficult. But it will get easier with practice!
Good Luck and have fun