Here are some of the best formula feeding tips that our community has come up with:
- Purchase 8oz wide neck bottles ONLY. The wide neck will make it easier to scoop the formula in (powder) and you’ll eventually need 8oz anyway, so save yourself a trip to the store and some money but just getting one set.
- Get them used to room temperature formula. Being able to buy a bottle of water or using water from the tap makes life so much easier.
- Don’t feel guilty! I was pumping and using formula, its tough not to be too hard on yourself. Be at peace!
- When you are done with feeding, disassemble your bottle and put it in a bowl of sudsy water so the gunk at the bottom doesn’t harden. It’s easier to clean that way.
- Sterilize? If you have a dishwasher with a high temp setting, putting the bottles on the top rack will be almost as effective as sterilizing. Want to compromise? Wash the bottles, and sterilize the nipples.
- Using Powder? Preload your bottles for the entire day with power and keep a pitcher of room temperature water handy. When it’s feeding time, grab a pre-filled (with powder) bottle, add water, shake!
- Have at least two weeks of formula on hand. If you pre-stock, you can get it at a better price then running out last minute to a convenience store.
- Need a special formula. Often Similac Alimentum and Enfamile Nutramigen can be written up as a “prescription” by your doctor. These formula’s are for children with very fragile digestive systems. We hope you never need them, but if you do, this is a great tip and a HUGE money saver.
- Beware of your nipples. Make sure that your bottle nipples are in good order. If you see they are starting to wear out, purchase new ones ASAP. Don’t risk having a piece of latex/silicone break off.
- Use a breastfeeding pillow? Yup, use a breastfeeding pillow to bottle feed your babies. It will give you that close quater intimacy that breastfeeding allows.
- Check the dates on ALL formula you buy. Make sure that it hasn’t expired, or near the expiration date.
- Take a picture of the current formula you are using. Often the person not home with the kids as much might pick up the wrong one. Don’t just tell the person going to the store the name of it, send them a picture so they are sure to get it right. (odds are if someone else is grabbing it for you, you are in a jam so they might get confused in the formula isle)
- Kids finished eating but there is still formula left? You have to use it within one hour or bacteria will start wreaking havoc.
- Theres an app for that! Check out Similac’s feeding App. It’s awesome!
Now that you are armed with some tips, how about some free formula? One lucky family will be sent a months worth of formula* for your babies. Want to enter? Fill out the form below. Not only will you be entered to win this amazing giveaway, you’ll also be entered into Similac’s Strong Mom’s (and Dad’s) Campaign and you’ll be receiving coupons, discounts and a free sample no matter what! (Want to see our entire list of freebies? Check out our new page dedicated just to Multiple Birth Discounts)
*Up to six cases of sample size powdered containers will be shipped. The Winner will be chosen on June 14th, 2013 and notified via email.
for more tips read here: Baby Basics: Bottle Feeding Twins