Last updated on September 8th, 2023 at 09:14 pm
Nat chats with Michelle Piatek, mom to 15-month-old identical twin girls and a 3-year-old boy. Michelle shares a run-through of her day with her girls, including their sleep routine, meal schedule, and how she makes time for her boy as well.
Got Alexa? Just say “Alexa, play the Twins Tale Podcast” to listen to the most recent episode of our podcast.
Click below to stream the podcast directly on this post, or click here to subscribe and download to your phone on iTunes. Please consider leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other twin parents find us!
Need more support? Start your Twiniversity Membership today here.
Michelle Piatek grew up on the south side of Chicago and earned her BS in nursing at Purdue University. She received her graduate degree in nurse anesthesia from Rush University and currently works in her hometown of Munster, IN as a CRNA. While getting her patients off to sleep is no problem, she regularly struggles with getting her 3-year-old son to settle down for some Zs. Michelle and her prom-date-turned-husband Joey both work full time while raising their son and 1-year-old identical twin girls (with a lot of help from family!) Michelle has always loved organization and efficiency (and twins technically are efficient) and is embracing her new lifestyle of “3 under 4 during a pandemic.” Find Michelle on Instagram @mbecka.
Top 3 pieces of advice for other parents of twins
- Accept any and all forms of help – especially during the newborn stage! If someone wants to drop off dinner or offers to fold some laundry…always. say. yes! Now is definitely not the time to do it all. I had and continue to have lots of family help and I’m so thankful for them!
- Connect with other twin moms! I found myself always reaching out to other twin moms for advice and reassurance. I signed up for a twin mentor through Twiniversity while I was pregnant with my 15-month-old identical twin girls and we still keep in regular touch!
- Kind of silly…but find a way to be able to identify who is who in early photos so you know when you look back in 20 years. When my girls were born, I brought “hello my name is…” tags in my hospital bag and wrote their names on them and stuck them to their swaddles.
Need some baby safety training? Take the Twiniversity Complete Baby Safety course, offered on-demand. Includes video modules on infant, toddler, and child CPR, first aid, and common medical ailments, plus car seat installation and safety and childproofing your home. Click here to learn more!
Top 3 things you wish you had done differently
- While I have no regrets, I do wish I hadn’t worried so much about twin pregnancy. Yes, things may not go exactly according to plan, but maybe they will! At my 6-week follow-up appointment, I told my Dr. that having 2 healthy, vaginally born babies after a short and near-perfect, easy labor was literally the only scenario that didn’t cross my mind over the last year. Have faith and enjoy the pregnancy!
- My 15-month-old identical twin girls preferred to lay in the Twin-Z pillow for the first several months. I always kept them on their own specific side for the sake of knowing who was who quickly. However, twin B was always turning to look at her sister and it worsened the flat spot on her head that she developed in the womb. It has since resolved but led to some extra evaluations for plagiocephaly as an infant.
- I wouldn’t change a thing about being a twin mama. Twin life is the best life!
Got twins? Us too! The Twiniversity Podcast with Natalie Diaz was created BY parents of twins FOR parents of twins, from your pregnancy days through your twin’s teenage years, this podcast covers it all. It’s all about parenting twins, offering plenty of strategies for making life better, parenting hacks, and of course, humor. We are laughing WITH you every step of the way.
Need some twin parent friends? Get the support you need with a Twiniversity Membership. Benefits include a monthly twin parent club meeting on Zoom, access to a private Facebook group just for twin parents, and a video library of twin parenting lessons. Visit Twiniversity.com/membership to join today!
FIRST YEAR WITH TWINS
Are your twins in their first year? Check out our free First Year with Twins resource to learn tips, advice, and ideas for getting through your first year with twins!
Expecting twins or know someone who is? Don’t miss out on our LIVE Online Expecting Twins Class
Twiniversity is the #1 source for parents of
multiples, and we are growing faster every day!
Find us all over the web:
Or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to be the first to know about giveaways, deals, and more just for twin parents? Sign up for the Twiniversity email list! Subscribe today to get emails about giveaways, events, weekly article roundups, and more! Pregnant with twins? We’ll be sending you a weekly twin pregnancy email to keep you on track with your pregnancy to-do list! Click here to learn more… and while you’re at it, check out our Complete Baby Safety Course and Twin Parent Memberships.