Swimming, swimming, in the swimming pool, when days are hot and days are cold in the swimming pool. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was nothing left to do? This is running through my head constantly as I fear the worst things possible happening in the pool. Now we put our fellas into swim classes as soon as they let us, at about 6 months, which in my opinion was great. But, there is always the anxiety of being a parent when you have little ones in and around water. Here are the top 10 items to keep your twins safe in and around water and help give you a bit of peace of mind.
1. FinerMe Inflatable Transparent Ring Swim – The first prop that my twinnies were introduced to in the pool was a simple swim ring that was made to fit a tiny tot. They loved the freedom and the ability to simply float with us being able to have a hand on them and move them about. There are a lot of variations of a swim trainer float but for us the simple one was great and we actually bought it right from the swim school. If you feel more comfortable having a top to strap them in to, take a look at the SwimSchool Deluxe Tot Trainer.
2. Stuff 4 Multiples Duo Twin Float Harness – A duo twin pool float…Um YES! You can out both of your twinnies in one and move them about freely. There are leg holes on these for the baby who is just going to get their legs wet or if you are alone at the pool with your twinnie babes. You can put up to 30lbs of baby in each seat and it is recommended for ages 6 months – 36, so you are set for a few summers.
3. Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Spark Shark Kickboard – Melissa & Doug have thought of everything, even a kickboard for kiddos to help learn to swim. We are all about lessons, but you should be able to practice and make your kiddos comfy in the pool when not in class. In class, we even would hang on to a mat and play so the could learn how to be comfortable hanging on.
4. Stearns Kids Puddle Jumper Life Jacket – With all of the other items that we have to blow up, we wanted a life jacket with floaties that were also made of the same foam for safe swimming. This puddle jumper is coast guard approved and can be used as a Type 3 life jacket if you needed. Worn from 30 – 50 lbs this is a great learn to swim item. It comes in a variety of cute colors and there is an available deluxe version that is polyester instead of nylon.
5. Speedo Child Personal Life Jacket – Summer to us is not just in a pool, we are in open water on a lake for part of it. A true Type 3, coast guard approved life vest is a must. You can wear this in a pool as well. Speedo brand is a trusted swim brand and they make sure that their products are top quality and allow for fun and safety.
6. Giotto Kids Swim Water Shoes – Protecting your twinnies little feet as they toddle around a pool deck, at the beach, or even outside in your backyard. These shoes are quick dry and non-slip and even though my set fall over their own feet sometimes at least we try.
7. Intex Sun Shade Inflatable Pool – Intex is a brand that I see often when it comes to fun blow up items for summer. We just mentioned backyard fun and sometimes the day calls for sunshine and water on your own turf. We can not talk about summer safety without talking about sun safety. This inflatable pool has a canopy to cover up the delicate baby skin.
8. YOUDirect Safety Inflatable Baby Float – If I am talking about a pool with a canopy I have to talk about a float with a canopy. My twinnies will be rocking these cool floating cars to allow them to play and have fun, while not exposing them to extra sun rays.
9. SwimZip Long Sleeve Sunsuit with UPF 50 Sun Protection – I am loving SwimZip’s line of UPF 50 zip up, rash guard, swimwear. They are a company that designs with sun safety as their top priority. You can even get a swimsuit for yourself and everyone in your family. There are lots of options with a zipper for easy on and easy off. Spend one summer trying to get a squirmy baby out of a skin-tight wet rash guard and you will go running for these suits.
10. Thinksport Kid’s Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+ – Sunscreen is a must for sun and water safety. ThinkSport makes a line of highly recommended mineral SPF 50+ for babies and kids. Note that ThinkBaby and ThinkKids are the same things. They have a lovely papaya smell that even the most sensitive babies like mine do not react to. ThinkSport goes above and beyond checking for the safety and effectiveness of the ingredients.
I could go on and on about products to help give all of us peace of mind, but I wanted to narrow the options down a bit for you. Please do not forget a sun hat, a water bottle, and to reapply your sun protection. Have fun with your twinnies and enjoy the summer!
Remember to NEVER leave children unattended while around water.
Jenifer Roth is a busy, busy mom to 1-year-old identical twin boys Jase and Evan, full-time High School driver ed teacher, and full-time finder of random information to help others! When not running around from work to home to errands she enjoys working on her blog, making piles of stuff and just hanging with her family! Trying to find the work-life balance has been a journey of its own but push on she must! You can read her blog here!