Finding out you are expecting twins is often a shock. I was completely flabbergasted when my doctor told me. I quickly started forming the longest twin registry known to man in my head.
It didn’t take long to realize my twins wouldn’t actually need everything I thought they would. When you think about how much twins need (I mean REALLY need) it isn’t as much as most people think.
We asked our Twiniversity fans to list their favorite baby products for twins! You don’t need ALL of the things on this list, by any means. But this is a great place to start to get your twin registry going! Here’s what they had to say…
Clothing and bedding for your twin registry
– Pajamas, aka “sleep n’ plays”. I kind of wished I had returned a lot of those newborn outfits people got us (onesies and pants) because they lived in zip-up pajamas for a long time. It was just easier than having to pull something over their heads or up their legs since the babies are like jello for the first few months. And definitely get zip-up. All those snaps and buttons just take a really long time when you have two babies to dress or change. Get more newborn size than you think you’ll need. It might be a while before they are in the 3-month size.
– We couldn’t live without the Halo Swaddle Sleepsacks. Buy 2 for each baby in micro-fleece (newborn size) if it’s cold out and the cotton kind when it’s warm out. The fleece ones make a really tight swaddle that’s hard to get out of and it really helped them sleep. Our boys were in these pretty much 24/7 for their first few months.
– Aden and Anais swaddle blankets are great for warmer weather. When it’s cold out if you want a blanket that’s good for swaddling try the Gerber flannel blankets.
Must-have for diaper changes
– Really good butt cream. Extra strength Desitin (purple tube) worked great for us, but every baby butt is different. Use a little after every diaper change as a preventative.
– If you’re having boys and they’re being circumcised, have plenty of Vaseline in a tube (not the big jar — it’s more sanitary). This can be hard to find so if you need to use the tub with Qtips. Also, have small 2″x2″ gauze squares handy (the hospital will provide some but once we were home we ran out in 2 days). Use more Vaseline than you think you need (really glop it on there) so the cotton gauze doesn’t stick to their incisions. 🙁
– The Diaper Dekor Plus extra-large diaper pail is also a good one. A diaper pail really is a must with twins!
– Basic cotton diapers to use as burp cloths. But not the thin ones. Make sure it’s heavyweight and absorbent. This is a good one: Gerber 5 Count Heavyweight Gauze Prefold
Health and wellness items
– NoseFrida snot sucker. Trust me on this one. Get two.
– Gas drops. Stock up now! So much infant fussiness can be helped with this. Mylecon is the brand name, and Little Remedies makes one, but Walgreens/Target/CVS have generic versions called “infant gas drops”.
–Baby first aid/ grooming kit with clippers, a comb, a dropper for medicines, and a thermometer.
Want to get weekly emails about your twin pregnancy? Sign up for the Twiniversity email list! Subscribe today to get emails about giveaways, events, weekly article roundups, and more! We’ll be sending you a weekly twin pregnancy email to keep you on track with your pregnancy to-do list! Click here to learn more… and while you’re at it, check out our expecting twins classes and personal twin parent coaching services.
– White noise machine — we still use ours and probably always will. We love the Munchkin one with a projector.
– Love our IKEA Gulliver crib. $99 each. They are shorter so they are perfect for shorties like me. It also converts to a day bed for later on.
– A good swing. Don’t bother with those “space saver” models if you have a small house. They just don’t swing as well.
– Fisher-Price Soothe ‘n Snuggle Otter is so perfect to help babies fall asleep anywhere.
Need some twin parent friends? Get the support you need with a Twiniversity Membership. Benefits include a monthly twin parent club meeting on Zoom, access to a private Facebook group just for twin parents, and a video library of twin parenting lessons. Visit Twiniversity.com/membership to join today!
Don’t forget these items for Mom
– If you hope to breastfeed and/or pump, get two good hands-free pumping bras. It’s a strapless bra that zips in front so you can pump without having to hold the cups up. Get 2 because they get really dirty and you’ll use it like 5-6 times a day if you’re pumping.
– The book “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins“
– Dry shampoo… For mom!!
Feeding time essentials
– The Dr. Browns bottles are the best. They really help with gas. If you buy them, buy the dishwasher baskets made for the bottles. There are a lot of parts to wash! Start with the preemie or Level 1 sized nipple — there are many sizes to grow into. The bottles all come with Level 2 nipples but the flow might be too fast for a newborn. Dr. Browns also makes a great pitcher for mixing big batches of formula.
– Dura Bibs! Perfect for starting solids and beyond.
– Table for Two – you can feed two babies at once by yourself!
– Drying racks for bottles, parts, sippy cups, bowls, etc. We have the spinning rack and the grass rack — both are great.
– Munchkin dishwasher baskets for bottle parts. Even after the bottle stage is over we still use these for sippy cup parts and pacifiers.
All the gear
– A Pack N’ Play. We got by with just one but if you’re going to be traveling a lot, get two. It’s also helpful if your twins are struggling with napping in the same room. We split up our twins with the help of the pack n’ play in our master bedroom for a while.
– A “snap n’ go” lightweight double stroller frame. It weighs less than 20 lbs. and you just snap in the car seats and “go”! This is a type of stroller that is sold by many brand names. Joovy has a good one where you can put the car seat carriers in sideways.
– A Fisher-Price Jumperoo and an Exersaucer for when they are a wee bit bigger. When they start getting bored, switch!
– Leachco Podster Sling-Style Infant Seat Lounger
– Baby Jogger City Select stroller with extra seat and infant carrier adapters. Get the scoop on this double stroller here.
Other items you need on your twin registry
– Pacifiers. The Avent soothie brand. My mother-in-law is a retired NICU nurse and she said these are the best for oral development. They come in blue, green, pink, and purple — lots of choices so you can color code for each baby.
– Twin Z Pillow for tandem breastfeeding
– Wubbanubs to hold the pacis in place!
– A glider with a footstool for the late-night feedings.
– Baby Bjorn bouncy chair. Great to travel with. Folds down. Their travel crib is great too.
– One in a bouncer and one in a swing works perfectly for me!
- The Story of an Undiagnosed Kidney Rupture While Pregnant with Twins
- Taking Twins Out Solo
- ELEMENTAL Disney Coloring Pages & Printables
- 4 Ways to Sell and Trade for a New Wardrobe for Your Twins
- Glamping with twins