Welcome to Twiniversity. If you found us through an internet search, or were told by one of your twin parent BFFs, you have come to right place.
Twiniversity is the world’s leading resource for parents of twins. Our info is sourced not only from our outstanding Twin Mom Squad, but also from thousands of twin families around the globe.
You’ll find that Twiniversity is all about US…the universal twin parent “us”. We created a place for families to read, learn, and laugh about this wild ride called twins!
We know you might be ecstatic, scared, anxious, happy, confused, joyful, petrified, over the moon or somewhere in between, but rest assured, we got ya covered!
- 8 weeks pregnant video
- What's going on with those twinnies?
- To-do list
- 5 tips for a better 8th week
- Advice from other twin moms
- Concerns other twin moms had
- Questions twin moms had for their doctor
- Product recommendations
- An excerpt from “What To Do When You're Having Two”
- Articles you should read this week
- Videos to check out
- Register for class
8 weeks pregnant video
Our new digital twin pregnancy journal is up for sale on the Twiniversity Etsy store! This is the first and only digital journal exclusively for twin pregnancy. It’s the perfect way to record your precious twin pregnancy memories to cherish for years to come. Click here to learn more… and while you're at it, check out our expecting twins classes and Twiniversity Shop!
What's going on with those twinnies?
Your twins each weigh about .04 oz, which is about the size of a jelly bean.
Your babies are moving but you won't be feeling their movement for quick a while yet. Their nerve cells are branching out and their breathing tubes now extend from the throat to the lungs.
- Find your local twins club or sign up for a mentor with our Parent-To-Parent Mentor Program. We might be able to match you up with someone in your area who can be a great person to meet up with for a cup tea and get the inside school on being a twin parent in your local neighborhood.
- Start taking belly photos. Trust us, you'll regret it if you don't. You are going to be SHOCKED (in a good way) at what your body is about to do. There are many local photographers who even package belly shots with newborn photos. Start to inquire. See…that mentor can come in handy for this too.
- Start thinking about when and how you want to reveal your twin pregnancy. Check out these fun ideas!
- Order your copy of “What To Do When You're Having Two“, by Twiniversity founder Natalie Diaz
5 tips for a better 8th week
- Eat small meals often, even if you don’t feel hungry. Be smart about your choices. Remember, you're eating for three. Protein and vitamins. Try to eat things as close to their natural state to get the most amount of nutrients. Think baby carrots and dip. Peanut butter on whole wheat. It doesn't have to be fancy. It just has to fill you up and keep your body going to keep those babies healthy.
- Drink lots and lots of water. Your goal will be almost a gallon a day, starting now will get you used to this.
- Remember you are pregnant. It’s so early, it’s easy to forget you’re 8 weeks pregnant with twins. No smoking. No drinking. TRY TO REST!!! You’re growing humans. Don’t ever forget. Honestly, so many of us are trying to conquer the world before the babies come because we think that the universe is going to turn upside down when they get here. Trust us, it will seem like it, but it actually doesn’t. Pace yourself, please.
- Use a heating pad if your breasts are tender or consider grabbing some Rachel's Remedy. You'll need 'em while you’re breastfeeding. May as well get more use out of them now. : )
- Stay positive! You have so many good things ahead of you we can't list 'em. Even if you don't feel like smiling, DO! Studies show that even a forced smile can make you happier.
Pregnant with twins and FREAKING OUT?! First, take a deep breath. IN…. OUT…. that's better. OK, we've got you covered. Sign up now for an expecting twins class and we'll get you ready with what you need to know before bringing home your dynamic duo. We offer live classes on Zoom or on-demand classes available 24/7. Click here to check it out!
We wanted to take a minute to tell you about a must-have product for twins: The Baby Trend Snap-N-Go Double. You'll be using this stroller from the moment you wheel your twinnies out of the hospital and until they are too big for their car seats! It's super lightweight (just 18 lbs!) and folds up to easily fit in your trunk. Just strap your twins' infant car seats in and go! For quick trips to the doctor, a walk around the neighborhood, or while traveling, the Baby Trend Snap-N-Go Double is ideal for parents of twins. Buy on Amazon now!
Advice from other twin moms
- Rest when you can as much as you can. And eat small healthy meals. – Kristen D., Winsted, CT
- Be honest with your hubby and tell him how you’re feeling, even when it’s awful.
- Ask for help with other children or household chores. – Christina B., Pelham, NC
- Take warm scented baths to relax. – Erica P., Manchester, CT
Download the Twiniversity Podcast for FREE – Click here to listen now!
Concerns other twin moms had
- Getting bigger
- Twins coming early
- Miscarriage as a complication this week
- Losing one of the twins
- Making it to the 2nd trimester
- Overall health and safety of the babies
- Will it be an easy pregnancy (relatively) or more risky?
Questions twin moms had for their doctor
- Are the babies growing at a good rate?
- Are twins identical or fraternal?
- When can I find out the gender?
- Can I exercise?
- When should I go on leave?
- Is sex safe for twin pregnancies?
- Is the hospital I've chosen equipped for a multiples birth?
- Is the pulling, tugging feelings I have in my lower abdomen normal?
Check out all our Twiniversity merch in our SHOP! We've got twin mom and dad t-shirts, twin planning printables, lactation support, twin baby shower planners & games, a digital twin pregnancy journal, and so much more! Start shopping now
An excerpt from “What To Do When You're Having Two“
Be honest – what was your first thought when you found out that you were expecting twins? Were you shocked, terrified, overjoyed, or did you feel a combination of these emotions? Were you totally overwhelmed and confused about why you felt exactly the way you did? Even if you were trying to conceive for a long time or knew that twins were a possibility, it's quite likely that you felt a jumble of emotions when you learned the news. This is totally normal. Some people even have a very negative reaction. The truth is that the thought of having twins can be really scary.
You might start asking yourself questions like: How am I going to do this? How will I be able to carry them to term? Who is going help me? Will I ever be able to go back to work? Will I ever get out of the house again? What’s going to happen to my body? Are the babies going to be born healthy? Am I going to stay healthy? How are we going to be able to afford this?
If you’ve said any of these things to yourself, you are not alone. I think that shock is the first thing that any expectant mother feels when she learns that she is having twins, no matter how she got pregnant in the first place. As I already described, I was disappointed when I first learned that twins were in my future. Living in a tiny apartment in New York City, a place that's not exactly accommodating to double strollers, I wondered how I could possibly fit them into my lifestyle. Carrying and raising two babies at the same time was never on my radar. Heck, for years I couldn’t even conceive. How could I have possibly imagined that I could conceive two babies?
Pregnant with twins and not sure where to start? Visit the Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Guide to find all the top articles and resources to get you ready for twins. While you're at it, check out our expecting twin classes and Twiniversity shop!
REMINDER: Don't forget to take a belly shot! 8 week sonogram
Belly Photos – 8 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
Ultrasound Photos – 8 week sonogram
Articles you should read this week
Videos to check out
Register for class
Take a Twiniversity class to get ready for your twins arrival!
- Live online expecting twins class (live on Zoom)
- On-demand expecting twins class (pre-recorded)
- On-demand breastfeeding twins class (pre-recorded)
- On-demand baby safety class (pre-recorded)
NEXT: 9 WEEKS
PREVIOUS: 7 WEEKS
Want to get weekly emails about your twin pregnancy? Sign up for the Twiniversity email list! Subscribe today to get emails about giveaways, events, weekly article roundups, and more! We’ll be sending you a weekly twin pregnancy email to keep you on track with your pregnancy to-do list! Click here to learn more… and while you're at it, check out our expecting twins classes and personal twin parent coaching services.
AAFP. 2011a. Your baby’s development: The first trimester. American Academy of Family Physicians. http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/pregnancy-newborns/fetal-health/your-babys-development-the-first-trimester.html
Mayo Clinic. 2014a. Fetal development: The 1st trimester. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth/prenatal-care/art-20045302
MedlinePlus (ADAM). 2015. Fetal development. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002398.htm
OWH. 2010. Stages of pregnancy. U.S. Office on Women’s Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/you-are-pregnant/stages-of-pregnancy.html
ACOG. 2015. FAQ156. Prenatal development: How your baby grows during pregnancy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Prenatal-Development-How-Your-Baby-Grows-During-Pregnancy#one
8 week sonogra