15 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
You are doing SO GREAT!! Trust us, we know how hard a twin pregnancy is, and making it to 15 weeks is no small feat!
What can you expect at 15 weeks pregnant with twins? We’ve compiled a list of common symptoms, to-do’s this week, pregnancy tips, pregnancy concerns, questions to ask your doctor, advice from other pregnant moms of twins, and tons of other info below to help you through this week in your twins pregnancy. Enjoy!
What’s going on with those twinnies?
Your twins each weigh about 2.5 oz, which is about the size of a navel orange.
Your twins’ eyelids are fused shut, but they can sense light. Ultrasounds done this week may reveal your twins’ genders, but don’t be surprised if it’s still too early to tell.
15 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
- Go on a “babymoon” soon; we don’t recommend you travel after 23 weeks. Whether you go on a week-long trip to a tropical locale, or an overnight stay at a local hotel, make that special time to spend alone with your spouse, just the two of you.
- Register for baby gear – We recommend including all the big gear (cribs, mattresses, car seats, stroller) plus all the other essential gear that you’ll definitely need (bottles, carriers, bouncers, etc.). You can skip the cute outfits (people will just buy the clothes they think are cute) and the crib bedding (learn about safe sleep practices here!)
- Learn the signs of preterm labor – If you experience one or more of these, call your doc ASAP!
5 tips for a better 15th week of your twin pregnancy
- Go to bed early, nap if possible.
- Stop drinking one hour before bedtime so you don’t have to go to the bathroom as often overnight.
- Get a full body maternity pillow for sleeping.
- Start planning for help when the twins are born.
- Buy maternity pants, they are so much more comfortable than regular pants with a belly band.
At Twiniversity, we are huge advocates of storing cord blood. Through the process of cord blood banking, you can save the newborn stem cells found in your babies’ umbilical cords at birth to use if there’s ever a medical need in the future that can be treated with newborn stem cells, such as with certain cancers, blood and immune diseases and some metabolic diseases. Our trusted partner, CBR, has the largest family newborn stem cell bank in the world and has been banking babies’ cord blood for over 20 years. CBR partners with research institutions on FDA-regulated clinical trials to help advance newborn stem cell science (we are HUGE fans of science!) and they are the #1 choice of OB/GYNs and expecting parents. To learn more, click here.
Enter for your chance to win FREE cord blood banking + set up for TWINS! Click here to enter our monthly CBR giveaway!
COUPON CODE ALERT! Use the code DUO2 for special cord blood banking for twins pricing with Cord Blood Registry. That’s an exclusive discount just for Twiniversity families! The code will also get you a discount on banking cord tissue.
Advice from other Twiniversity moms when they were 15 weeks pregnant with twins
- Try and go to the dentist. Mine was so happy I went in during the 2nd trimester and was able to schedule two more appointments before the babies come. – Angelina R., Yonkers, NY
- Get a pregnancy pillow. The one that’s shaped like a U to help also support your back while you sleep and switch sides through the night. – Christina L., Jackson, NJ
- Start scheduling things. Now that I started to gain more energy I could start scheduling my child birth classes and begin planning the baby shower. – Angelina R., Yonkers, NY
- Get a nutritionist! This week I went to see a nutritionist because I was worried about eating right and she really gave me great advice that is super approachable. – Angelina R., Yonkers, NY
- Get a pregnancy massage. I have one today and I cannot wait! – Angelina R., Yonkers, NY
- Get a normal book that you won’t want to put down. Prior to this week I couldn’t stop reading pregnancy books. I finally decided that I mentally needed a break from reading about breastfeeding and what to add to your registry and what it might be like if your babies are in the NICU, so I picked up a thriller at Barnes and Noble. Feeling a lot less stressed now. – Angelina R., Yonkers, NY
- Take it easy, don’t worry about the laundry or the dishes. – Alison W., Craig, AK
The Twins Tale Podcast by Twiniversity is an intimate look into the lives of twin parents and their twins at all ages and stages, from birth through college. We interview twin parents in the trenches and ask all the burning questions you want to know about raising twins: schedules that work, feeding your twins, getting out of the house, finding sanity, and so much more. Subscribe for FREE today!
Concerns other Twiniversity moms had when they were 15 weeks pregnant with twins
- The results of our genetic screening to see the risk of our babies having Down Syndrome.
- Not much, just how big I’m getting already compared to my singleton pregnancies. And the babies are so low feeling they push right on my bladder already.
- Weight gain
- Are my babies are healthy?
- Is my pain normal?
- Should I worry about incompetent cervix because I’m carrying multiples?
- Are the babies okay in there since I can’t feel them yet?
- Am I going to have to go on bedrest and stop working?
Questions Twiniversity moms had for their doctors when they were 15 weeks pregnant with twins
- What are the sexes of our babies?
- Do I have to sleep on my side at night?
- What multiples childcare classes are offered at my hospital?
- Can I eat pineapple? Grapes? I’ve read these fruits may not be recommended.
- Do you recommend using gas as a form of pain relief during childbirth when attempting not to use an epidural?
- How much weight should I gain?
- Is my round ligament pain normal?
- How do I get rid of my pain?
Typical tests that are done
If you’ve chosen to do a Multiple Marker Screen (MMS, a.k.a. Triple or Quad Screen Test), you’ll have blood drawn between week 15 pregnancy and week 20. This screening measures levels of certain proteins and hormones in a mom-to-be’s blood to give her a more accurate assessment of baby’s risk of neural tube defects than the first-trimester screening offers.
Amniocentesis is another elective test—it happens between weeks 15 and 20. This invasive test can diagnose neural tube defects, chromosomal abnormalities, and other genetic disorders. It’s considered safe overall but does pose some risks, so talk it over with your doctor to decide whether or not you’ll have the procedure. You may choose amnio if you have an abnormal triple or quad test or if your baby has a higher risk of genetic abnormalities.
For the amniocentesis, the doctor will use the ultrasound to see inside your pregnant belly and will guide a needle into the amniotic sac to gather a sample of fluid to be tested.
15 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
Check out this list of more Must Have Pregnancy Products You Need Right Now
An excerpt from Twiniversity founder Natalie Diaz’s book, “What To Do When You’re Having Two“
This is another good one. You will get really swollen, probably starting in the 2nd trimester. There will be a lot more volume in your body – a lot more blood and water – so don’t be alarmed if you start to resemble the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. However, there is such a thing as bad swelling. You can tell the difference this way – if you press your fingertips into the swollen part of your body and it remains indented where your fingers were, tell your doctor. Otherwise, just lay in bed with your feet up. There’s really not much else you can do. But it’s always a good idea to call your doc if you notice swelling and let them decide if they want to have you come in to assess your swelling. Severe cases could be a sign of preeclampsia (see page 50).
If you have a toe ring or an ankle bracelet, you should really take those puppies off now. You don’t want to wake up one morning and wonder what happened to your toe ring. Also, I hate to say it, but it’s not a bad idea to take your wedding ring off as well. I know it kind of sucks, but look on the bright side – you can start dating again; no one will know you’re married! Seriously, though, take them off and put them someplace safe. In fact, I would write down where you put them. Send yourself and your spouse an email with the location! It would really stink to forget where your rings were when you can finally wear them again.
REMINDER: Don’t forget to take a belly shot!
15 Weeks Pregnant with Twins Pictures